World-famous Kruger National Park’s groundbreaking work in preservation and conservation has continued since the park’s inception in 1898.
Originally known as the Sabi Game Reserve, in 1926 it was renamed Kruger National Park, after its early champion, South African President Paul Kruger. The park has become one of the largest game reserves in Africa and is recognized worldwide for its involvement in ecotourism and plant and animal conservation. Located in the Limpopo and Mpumalanga provinces in northeastern South Africa, the park encompasses 7,500 square miles. The park’s boundaries are defined by rivers on two sides, the Limpopo River to the north, bordering Zimbabwe, and the Crocodile River to the south. The Lebombo Mountains form the eastern boundary of the park, separating it from Mozambique, and the western border runs parallel to the mountains some forty miles away. Most of Kruger is grasslands, known locally as bushveld. Woodlands and rocky hills also dot the landscape, the highest point in the park being a hill called Khandzalive.
Kruger National Park claims 147 species of large mammals, more than any other African game reserve. Webcams are set up to catch sight of the Big Five: elephant, lion, leopard, buffalo, and black and white rhino. Besides supporting the packs of endangered African wild dog, the park is home to many other exciting animals including zebra, cheetah, giraffe, hippo, wildebeest, impala, and spotted hyena.